The festive season is in full swing and everyone is feeling very merry! The decorations are out and the Christmas trees are up, but did you know that decorations and Christmas trees are a massive fire risk? No-one wants their Christmas ruined by a fire caused by a Christmas tree or decorations! Make sure you are being wise and taking fire safety precautions this season to stay safe.
Tips for fire safety this season
Take these precautions over Christmas and new years to stay safe from fire:
- Check that your Christmas tree lights have the British Safety Standard sign.
- Check the fuses are the right type.
- Replace any broken bulbs.
- Always turn Christmas light off when you leave the office.
- Don’t let the fairy lights touch any decorations or anything that can burn easily, like paper or cardboard.
- Don’t attach decorations to lights or fireplaces.
- Keep all decorations and trees away from candles.
- Test your smoke alarms regularly.
- Avoid leaving an oven unattended and don’t cook under the influence of alcohol.
- Make sure your visitors know how to escape in the event of a fire.
- Make sure all cigarettes are put out properly.
- Store fireworks safely.
- Never go back to a lit firework and keep a bucket of water nearby.
- Take care around open fireplaces.
- Don’t overload plug sockets.
You will be surprised how quickly a real Christmas tree will burn. Watch the video here. This is why it is so important to be careful with your decorations and Christmas tree this season! Once Christmas is over and you are taking your decorations down be sure to take any real trees to a recycling center so it can be disposed of properly.